guix-devel

Re: issue tracking in git

From: Adriano Peluso
Subject: Re: issue tracking in git
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 10:29:09 +0200

Il giorno ven, 13/08/2021 alle 15.18 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus ha scritto:

> Hi Adriano,

>  [...]

> Was it perhaps Carl Dong?

yes, it was Carl Dong

Thank you

> > I don't remember the name of such person and I am wondering if
> > amy
> > progress has been achieved on that front
>
> I don’t think there was a decision to do issue tracking in git.

Do you mean a decsion by the bitcoin community ?

Or by the Guix community ?

> I have no idea how well it works when there’s a lot of “traffic”
> in a distributed project, e.g. when there are several comments to

[...]

> the same issue by different people.  Having merge conflicts in the
> issue tracker is a headache I’d like to avoid.

I hadn't thought about this

This is a potential problem that deservses exploration

I think issue tracking in git could be explored starting with smaller
projects first

Probably Guix is too large and entrenched to be used as a test bed for
this kind of explorations

I'm asking about the state of the art in this regard because I feel
that server based solutions are problematic even for free software
oriented organizations

And should the bitcoin community explore this a bit, that would be a
very interesting development, in my view