guix-devel

Re: core-updates weather reports!

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: core-updates weather reports!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 20:30:19 -0400

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 08:23:03PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the build farms are not actually trying to build
> for core-updates-frozen, at least not in a systematic way. Am I
> mistaken? Or are we only building the core subset of packages for this
> branch?

I think it would be helpful to start fully building the branch even if
there are still some large parts of the tree that don't build.

That's because of Rust: it takes a very long time (days?) to build Rust,
and so people won't even be able to start testing their leaf packages,
many of which depend on Rust at this point. I know it has been built for
this branch in recent weeks, but I guess it was garbage collected.

I thought about building the packages "by hand" and setting up a gcroot
manually, but it would be nice to work within the CI infrastructure.