guix-devel

Re: Can we find a better idiom for unversioned packages?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Can we find a better idiom for unversioned packages?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 17:00:55 -0400

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 10:03:47PM +0200, Xinglu Chen wrote:
> ‘guix describe’ would show the commit of the guix.git repo used,
> wouldn’t it?

It shows the commit of currently effective revision of Guix, but it can't
tell you what revision of Guix a built package came from.

> If the date is not part of the version string, I think that there should
> at least be a comment saying the the date of the commit, just to let
> other people quickly see how old the version is.

To clarify, I'm not saying that we shouldn't include the date! But we
should keep the commit IDs too. And be careful about the shebang
lengths. I am sympathetic to your use case of "how old is this thing?"
and that it's currently annoying to satisfy.