guix-devel

Re: guix environment --load vs. --file inconsistency

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guix environment --load vs. --file inconsistency
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:48:48 +0200

Hi Attila,

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> skribis:

> i was writing the documentation of a guix.scm file, and i realized that
> there's an inconsistency among the three most used commands in this context:
>
> so, there's:
> - guix build --file
> - guix package --file
>
> and then there's:
> - guix environment --load
> - guix pack # has neither
>
> i'd propose to change guix environment to also use --file, but maybe i'm
> overlooking something, so, please speak up if you think it's a bad idea!
>
> i never used guix pack, but maybe that also deserves a --file argument?

Good point.  ‘--file’ predates ‘--manifest’; we could perhaps deprecate
‘--file’ in favor of ‘--manifest’, though I think there’s one special
case not handled elsewhere:

  guix build -f foo.json

We need to do something about it.

‘guix environment --load’ could be similarly deprecated, either to be
eventually removed or to be renamed to ‘--file’.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.