guix-devel

Re: Compiling rust things without cargo (super WIP POC)

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Compiling rust things without cargo (super WIP POC)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 17:19:08 +0200

Am 31.03.22 um 22:06 schrieb Maxime Devos:
In my experiments, it looks like the rust compiler actually_does_
support static libraries, though perhaps cargo doesn't.

AFAIU this assumption is correct.

I invite you to take a look
at<https://notabug.org/maximed/cargoless-rust-experiments>.
It contains a minimal rust library (libhello) and a minimal 'hello
world'-style application that uses 'libhello'.
Impressive!
As a next step, maybe I could try writing a Guix package definition for libhello
and hello-oxygen, gradually making things more complicated (macros, transitive
dependencies, some non-toy Rust dependencies, a Guix build system ...)?

Here is my challenge :-) <https://gitlab.com/sequoia-pgp/sequoia/-/blob/main/openpgp/Cargo.toml>: different dependencies per feature, os, target-arch and target-os as well as passing on features to dependencies.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |