guix-devel

Re: Updating from Go 1.17 to 1.18

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Updating from Go 1.17 to 1.18
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:36:26 -0500

>>> Pier-Hugues Pellerin <ph@heykimo.com> writes:
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:

>>> I am trying to update Go to 1.18, I do have a *working* patch that defines
>>> a package that inherits from 1.17 and that adjusts the inputs.
>>
>> Nice!

Yes, thank you! I just found out I need this and came to see if anyone had
started on it.

>> You can define Go 1.18 inheriting from 1.17; that’ll allow us to have both
>> versions, and eventually we’ll remove the older one.

I suggest inverting this: copy/paste go-1.17 to go-1.18, and then make go-1.17
inherit from go-1.18. This means that when it's time to sunset a version, it's
a simple delete and not something that cascades through all recent versions.

> I think it makes sense, looking at the number of impacted packages and from
> my experience working in go, even if the contract is the same, sometimes it
> does break on minor.

I was wondering if we don't want to start publishing a go-next package like we
do with emacs-next? That would allow us to publish the latest version of Go
without needing to immediately address building all the packages that depend on
it.

Kindest regards,
--
Katherine