guix-devel

The case for moving raw binaries

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: The case for moving raw binaries
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:37:11 +0200

Hi Guix,

"raw binaries" (henceforth rawbins) are the unwrapped binaries that
Guix leaves behind in $PACKAGE/bin with the .$WRAPPER-real name.  This
practise causes several issues.  For one, those rawbins are visible in
the shell by typing a dot and using tab completion.  What's more, in
some build systems there might be two (or even more) off them.  This
makes a generic wrap after wrap pattern almost impossible to achieve.

So, what's the fix?  I propose moving rawbins to a different location.
libexec would spring to mind as a place in which we could hide them, so
would a new directory in the root of $PACKAGE.  Other than that, adding
a rawbin output would also be possible, but I am not certain whether
that'd be the right tradeoff.

So, what do you think?  Any candidates for $RAWBIN_DIR that we can
bikeshed?  Any disagreements?

Cheers