guix-devel

Re: guix refresh to a specific version?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: guix refresh to a specific version?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:23:13 +0200

Hi,

Am 17.06.22 um 17:37 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
It’s currently not possible, but pretty much all the machinery is there,
in importers.  It’s a low-hanging fruit that I think we should pick!

I gave it a try and discovered that we need to discuss the interface and design:

One can already specify a version, which defines the package to be updated. The respective place the code has the comment

Take either the specified version or the latest one.

and this was added by you (Ludo) in 4b9b3cbbc45afa3e374889847d4ab8673b8b2db2 (April 2015):

refresh: Allow users to refer to specific package versions.

* guix/scripts/refresh.scm (guix-refresh): Use 'specification->package'
  instead of 'find-packages-by-name'.  This allows users to specify
  things like "qt-4.8.6".

Beside this, I'm unconfident about the implementation: Currently refresh passes around package objects and passes this to the updater. When updating to a specific version, we need to pass around both the package and the desired version, which implies case-handling at many places. Any idea how to solve this elegantly?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |