guix-devel

Re: [WIP Patch] Adding an FHS container to guix shell

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: [WIP Patch] Adding an FHS container to guix shell
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 10:34:25 -0700

On 2022-07-12, John Kehayias wrote:
> Apologies for the long email, so let me start with the punchline:
> attached is a diff which adds an '--fhs-container' (or -F) option to
> guix shell/environment to set up an FHS-like container. This includes
> the usual /lib directory and a glibc which loads (a generated in the
> container) /etc/ld.so.cache. This should allow running most things
> that expect a more "typical" Linux environment. Give it a try!

Nice!

> 1. Set up directories like /lib. This is easy enough and can be done
> currently, like in roptat's response here [1] by building the profile
> first to know where to link to. Note that it is easier to do it within
> the environment code since we have access to the profile even if it is
> being built for the first time. There are some wrinkles with linking
> something like /bin since we currently add a link for sh; see the
> comments in my diff.
>
> Right now I did not handle a multi-arch setup, though that shouldn't
> be too difficult. This would probably require an option to build
> either all or specified packages for an additional arch, like 32bit in
> a 64bit system, and make the libraries available (/lib32 or
> something). Though may run into a union-build bug [2]?

This might be splitting hairs, but that sounds like a bi-arch setup
e.g. "/lib and /lib32" vs. a multi-arch setup "/lib,
/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/ and /lib/i386-linux-gnu"

  https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

Not sure how many extra hoops you'd need to jump through to make either
work well.

live well,
  vagrant