guix-devel

Re: Could Guix System eventually run on top of HyperbolaBSD ? slightly o

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Could Guix System eventually run on top of HyperbolaBSD ? slightly off topic
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 12:23:49 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 at 18:44, Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:

> The Hyperbola GNU/Linux team recently announced that they would ditch
> Linux for OpenBSD. They are using the OpenBSD kernel and the OpenBSD
> userland. And they are GPL-ing all of the code. It sounds like they will
> have to replace 20% of said code.
>
> https://www.hyperbola.info/

Well, I am missing where it is announced.  Could you be more specific?

If you run OpenBSD kernel and OpenBSD userland, why not just run an
OpenBSD system? :-)

Well, Debian is working (maybe the project is stalling?) on running GNU
userland using GLibc on the top of a FreeBSD kernel.  The conclusion is:
it is a piece of work. :-)

    https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

What I miss with your proposal is: are you interested by OpenBSD
userland software and you would like them running on a Linux kernel?  Or
are you interested by specific OpenBSD kernel feature and you would like
be able to run GNU software on it?

I think, similar as Josselin, that it requires a lot of work because
many low-level features are kernel dependant.  Therefore, it appears to
me more being worth to focus on smoothing the WSL2 experience, focus on
the Hurd, or to attempt something on the Darwin kernel.

Cheers,
simon