guix-devel

Re: xpip install -U 'xonsh[full]'

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: xpip install -U 'xonsh[full]'
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 01:03:59 +0200

On 25-07-2022 00:29, jgart wrote:
When installing xonsh I get the following after starting:

```
You are currently using the readline backend. For interactive tab-completion,
on-the-fly syntax highlighting, and more, install prompt_toolkit by running:

   xpip install -U 'xonsh[full]'

```

How should Guix handle optionally installing xonsh[full]?

I guess it could ask to install it with Guix instead. It's a bit complicated with the multiple mechanisms (guix install, guix home, "guix shell foo bar -- baz"), but that can be avoided by patching it to rephrase it a bit:

```
You are currently using the readline backend. For interactive tab-completion, on-the-fly syntax highlighting, and more, install the 'python-prompt-toolkit' package.
```

OTOH, from what I've gathered from previous discussions, some people want "guix build --source" to be the unmodified source code, with as only exception non-freeness removal, so patching would be out. E.g., doing the "-O1" bugfix in the shepherd package as a patch (well, snippet, but same thing basically) was rejected by some people in <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54216#5>

But at the same time, we patch glibc, gcc and guile-fibers without any complaints while those are more complicates patches and (in case of glibc and gcc), even Guix-specific, while the shepherd patch is simple and non-Guix specific.

(I don't understand anything from those discussions)

Greetings,
Maxime.