guix-devel

Re: A proposal of a consistent set of clear rules and guidelines involvi

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: A proposal of a consistent set of clear rules and guidelines involving snippets, phases and patches.
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:21:09 +0200

I don't like the wording at all. You're mixing too many things together.

I think it would be better to first document the guiding principles (eg. the goal that there are no non-free software in Guix, going for the simplest thing, etc) and then derive rules for specific cases, based on these principles:

How do I remove non-free software? -> snippet because …

How do I remove bundled libraries? -> snippet or phase because …

How do I fix a build issue? -> patch or snippet if this affects building from source, can also be a phase if the result of --sources can still build

A test issue?

This leaves some cases up to interpretation, but that's probably not so different from "it's not an absolute rule". It's also much clearer and quicker to figure out in which case you are. If not documented as a case, you can fall back to the general principles.