guix-science

Introducing Guix to HPC at my institution

From: Sébastien Lerique
Subject: Introducing Guix to HPC at my institution
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:12:30 +0900

Hi all,

I'm interested in introducing Guix to the HPC team at my institution. There's quite some content on the Guix-HPC blog [0], but I was wondering if people here have stories about how such conversations went for them, which arguments worked best, which didn't.

As a first step I would like to discuss with the sysadmins if they would consider activating user namespaces so users can play around. Aside from [1] and [2], are there any updated discussions about this topic, e.g. why to do it or why not?

Best,
Sébastien

[0] https://hpc.guix.info/blog/
[1] https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2017/10/using-guix-without-being-root/ [2] https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2017/09/reproducibility-and-root-privileges/