guix-science

Re: Reproducible Project Environments

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Reproducible Project Environments
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 09:30:34 -0500

From my point of view, if we are speaking of a project gluing many thing
to produce analysis, then a Git repo with:

  - manifest.scm containing package set for the project
  - channels.scm containing the revision
  - all your files

Does 'guix describe - f channels' always return a list of all of the user's channels? If I include a channels.scm file in a project, it would be nice if it only contained the channels necessary to build and run the packages within that project.

Is it possible to use the guix.scm or manifest.scm file when generating the channels.scm file so it only includes the necessary channels? Would I need to create a temporary project profile first and then use that to filter the channel list?