guix-science

packaging python-cyvcf2

From: Alexis Simon
Subject: packaging python-cyvcf2
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:03:31 -0700

Hi, I've spent nearly the day on this and it's driving me crazy.

I am trying to package this cyvcf2 [1]
I am attaching the packaging I've tried.

The build is failing with this error:
running build_ext
# cyvcf2: htslib mode is BUILTIN
# cyvcf2: htslib configure options is None
error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './configure'
error: in phase 'build': uncaught exception:
%exception #<&invoke-error program: "python" arguments: ("./setup.py" "build") exit-status: 1 term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f>

What is very disturbing is that it builds fine in a debugging environment following the documentation [2]

The .configure file is present in the failed build, so there must be something going on with the setup.py not managing to change directory to htslib in the build_htslib function.

If anyone has any guidelines to debug this further it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexis

[1] https://github.com/brentp/cyvcf2/
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Debugging-Build-Failures