gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:40:13 +0100

Hi Pjotr,

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 22:18, Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> wrote:

> guix environment -C guix
>
> pulls in everything you need to build guix itself.

If I understand well, this sequence:

  cd ~/guix-master
  git checkout <hash>
  cd /path/to/project
  ~/guix-master/pre-inst-env guix environment -C tool --ad-hoc other tools

is nouw somehow equivalent to:

  guix pull --commit=<hash>
  guix environment -C tool --ad-hoc othertools

Right?

> > And is it the guix modules or only its dependencies? (guile, autotools,
> > etc.)
>
> try it, you can check. Also read
>
> https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#building-gnu-guix-from-source-using-guix---the-bullet-proof-way
>
> > And idem if you run instead:
> > ~/guix-master/pre-inst-env guix environment -C gwl --ad-hoc some other tools
> > or any other package that depends on Guix.

In fact, the question is how to do when a package (gwl) depends on
Guix the library.
Kind of build time vs run time. If I understand well.
It was my initial issue: gwl was built with a version of Guix. Then it
fails at run time because the very Guix version was incompatible.

All the best
--
simon