gwl-devel

Re: Preparing for a new release

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Preparing for a new release
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 22:28:11 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I am confused by the syntax.
>> > Well how to select the second element "b"?
>> >
>> > Naively, I would tempt to write {{inputs:samples:2}} or
>> > {{inputs::samples:2}}.
>>
>> There’s no syntax for that because you can use good ol’ list processing
>> (let’s call it “Listp”, or perhaps “Lisp”…) to work on this outside of
>> the code snippet.
>
> If I understand correctly, for such cases, 3 solutions:
>
> 1. manually split
>
>  inputs
>    . sample-1: "a"
>    . sample-2: "b"
>    . sample-3: "c"
>
> or 2. split elsewhere 'samples' using piece of Lisp
>
> or 3. use Lisp features
>
>  inputs
>    . sample-1: `(list-ref ,samples 1)
>    . sample-2: `(list-ref ,samples 2)
>    . sample-3: `(list-ref ,samples 3)
>

> Right?

That’s correct, but to directly access values in the “inputs” field,
though, you’d have to use a let binding around the definition of the
code snippet, which would be uglier.

So ugly in fact that I decided to write this little procedure:

;; Simplify access to tagged items in lists.
(define pick
  (case-lambda
    ;; First item.
    ((key collection)
     (and=> (memq key collection) cadr))
    ;; Nth item
    ((n key collection)
     (let ((sub
            (and=> (memq key collection)
                   (lambda (sublist)
                     (break keyword? (cdr sublist))))))
       (cond
        ((number? n)
         (and (> (length sub) n)
              (list-ref sub n)))
        ;; All items
        ((and (procedure? n)
              (eq? (procedure-name n) '*))
         sub)
        ;; SRFI-1 accessors like "first"
        ((procedure? n)
         (n sub))
        (else (error "pick: Selector not supported.")))))))

Then I noticed that it’s really inconvenient to use let bindings inside
of fields, so I changed the “make-process” macro to allow for
definitions inside of the fields of a process.

So you can do this now:

process foo
  inputs
    . "something"
    . samples: "a" "b" "c"
  procedure
    define second-sample
      pick second samples: inputs
    . # { echo {{second-sample}} }

Unfortunately, the leading dot sticks out like a wart here.  We could
only drop it if I manage to rewrite the code-snippet value so that it
really is a procedure that will return itself when applied to zero
arguments…  It might be possible with some tinkering.

(Note that you do need the “procedure” field name here; it can be left
off only when the last value is a code-snippet.)

--
Ricardo