Re: [Health] [Health-jamaica] Ebola, MERS, Zika, N.N. and GNU Health

From: Christoph H. Larsen
Subject: Re: [Health] [Health-jamaica] Ebola, MERS, Zika, N.N. and GNU Health
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:44:16 +0700

Dear All,

Absolutely, Luis, OSM is the way to go. Integrations abound and, what is more, mappings and trackings can be easily exported, edited, shared, etc. My team did not only map all district surveillance teams in Sierra Leone during the EVD crisis, but also mapped road conditions, relevant infrastructure, etc. on the go, as we used mobile applications to gather a hodgepodge of highly diverse data. One single application (and its plugins) quickly proved to be enormously useful, and that was osmand (http://osmand.net). As you can use maps offline, and only depend on the satellite for geolocation, seemingly complex things were very easily accomplished, tracking done, edits added and maps displayed via geo-plugins to our preferred collaborative reporting and wiki tool. (And this would equally apply to CMSs, and of course, with a bit of fine-tuning, GNU Health.) It's fun and can be completed with graphs and dashboard using additional FLOSS software.
Stay well!

Chris