Re: [Help-bash] trouble using &

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] trouble using &
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:51:54 -0600

Previously written:
> frank ernest wrote:
> > I know that changing ttys IE ctrl-alt-F* makes the audio stop
> > (which makes sense because that if I'm playing a cool tune and
> > you don't want to hear it you don't since your logged in on a
> > different tty,) but I don't think & does that to the process.

As I read this in the original post it says that the audio stops
playing when switching from X to a Linux console.  Or the reverse.
When they switch the audio stops playing.

Pierre Gaston wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > frank ernest wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting, how could I figure out what's going on?
> >
> > Sorry but I don't know.  I have suspicions but not enough evidence to
> > back up a guess.
>
> without -q it tries to read from the terminal which causes it to
> stop....as said above .......

Erm...  I think you have misunderstood what was being asked there.  Or
perhaps I have.  The question being discussed at this point is why
does the audio stop playing when using Contrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the
Linux console?

When I switch from X to the Linux console or from one console to
another or from the Linux console back to X the audio keeps playing.
But as I read the original poster it does not for them.  So the
question at this point is why would switching to a Linux console stop
audio from continuing to play from X or another VT?

Bob