Re: [Help-bash] Bash 2.05b build failure on OSX10.4

From: Geoff Down
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Bash 2.05b build failure on OSX10.4
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 01:52:09 +0000

I tried some things:
'configure --with-installed-readline'
gives
'configure: WARNING: installed readline library is too old to be linked
with bash
configure: WARNING: using private bash version'
and then with gcc4.0 the 'multiple definition' warnings I mentioned.
Whilst gcc4.2 gives no multiple definitions, but lots of Undefined
symbols e.g. "_rl_unbind_function_in_map".
So the old readline dynlib is clearly needed to define all the symbols,
but some are duplicated elsewhere.
 What I can't figure out is how a definition of _tilde_expand gets into
 ./lib/tilde/libtilde.a(tilde.o) (for example) when the string '
 _tilde_expand' doesn't appear anywhere in the source files or in /usr/
 or /opt/local/ as far as I can tell - only in
 /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib . Where's the duplicate being pulled in
 from??
 And is there a way of replacing the dynlib?
GD