Re: Usr/bin/env

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Usr/bin/env
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:08:48 -0500

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 04:45:08PM +0300, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> > "Sh" is a shell chosen. But if I wanted to know more about
> > this directory, "/usr/bin/env", what is this concept's original location?
> > Does this filesystem structure go back to Unix?
>
> Yes. More specifically, BSD version 4.4. Since then it has been
> adopted by just about all Unix-like operating systems, including
> Gnu/Linux and MacOS, and standardized by POSIX.

Not quite.  POSIX has standardized the 'env' utility, but NOT the file
name '/usr/bin/env'.  It is possible to have a POSIX-compliant system
that lacks /usr/bin/env.  But in practice, you'll be hard-pressed to
find such a system in the wild.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266