Re: Send command to printer

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: Send command to printer
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 15:27:14 -0400

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 09:19:53PM +0200, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> Thank you very much.
>
> I will read up on the script command.
>
> I would like it to be printed in real time.

In all honesty, it sounds like you would like to use a Teletype device,
or else you are trying to reinvent the Teletype, 60 years later.

If you're trying to mock up a Teletype purely in software, I should
imagine it's more of a terminal-side thing than a shell-side thing.
Perhaps you should look into finding a terminal emulator which can
dump a transcript of the session to a printer.  Or perhaps one of
the terminal multiplexer packages (tmux, screen, and commercial variants
such as FacetTerm) can do it.

You might even end up hacking printer-dumping into some terminal
emulator yourself, if no such thing currently exists.

Or... perhaps something can be done using Expect?  I'm not sure what
all of its capabilities are, but I believe it can be wedged in between
the terminal and the shell, kind of like a multiplexer, and maybe you
can hack something in at that level.

I'm pretty confident that you can't achieve your goal using bash only.
It's simply the wrong layer.