help-debbugs

Re: Coreutils Bug Tracker Tagging

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: Coreutils Bug Tracker Tagging
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:42:52 +0200

era eriksson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 12:56, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Do either of you use debbugs-gnu?
>> (if not, I'll post the following to help-debbugs)
>>
>> I'm using the latest emacs built from git/bzr and noticing the nice new
>> debbugs-gnu interface that emacs can use to browse its own bugs (via
>> emacs rather than via the web), I suspect I can configure debbugs-gnu
>> to work with coreutils, too, since coreutils is using debbugs.gnu.org
>> the same way emacs is.
>>
>> I noticed this:
>>
>> (defcustom gnus-bug-group-download-format-alist
>>   '((emacs . "http://debbugs.gnu.org/%s;mboxmaint=yes;mboxstat=yes";)
>>     (debian
>>      .
>>
>> "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%s&mbox=yes;mboxmaint=yes";))
>>
>> Is this something I can configure myself?
>
> Clearly yes; that's what defcustom does.  You could probably even
> convince the Emacs maintainers to add an entry for coreutils (and maybe
> sed, make, etc) there too.  It kind of sucks that they all have the same
> URL, though.  Anyway, until then, you can simply add something like this
> to your .emacs
>
>   (add-to-list 'gnus-bug-group-download-format-alist
>     (cons 'coreutils
>     "http://debbugs.gnu.org/%s;mboxmaint=yes;mboxstat=yes";))
>
> ... or configure it "by hand" via M-x configure.
>
> /* era */
>
> (I don't use Emacs24 yet myself; this is based on my general Emacs
> knowledge, and might need minor adjustment.)

Hi Era,

Thank you for the tip!
I put that in my .emacs file and ran "emacs -f debbugs-gnu", to no avail:

    Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/h/j/.emacs':

    Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-bug-group-download-format-alist

    To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
    cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
    the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

Looks like it's because gnus things haven't been pulled in.
I guess I need to do the above on some hook that is run
after debbugs-gnu loads the definition?