help-debbugs

Re: Invalid X.509 certificate for bugs.gnu.org

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Invalid X.509 certificate for bugs.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:09:12 -0400

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> The X.509 certificate for debbugs.gnu.org aka. bugs.gnu.org lacks
> "bugs.gnu.org" in its Common Name.  Thus, people get a warning when
> trying to connect to <https://bugs.gnu.org>.
>
> Would it be possible to add "bugs.gnu.org" to the certificate?

I asked the FSF sysadmins about this when we originally got https, over
a year ago. At the time, we concluded it wasn't worth the bother.
It either required buying another cert, or some non-trivial configuration.

Maybe things have changed since then, eg letsencrypt.org.

I'm tempted to just wait till the existing cert expires in November.

Personally I've never much liked the "bugs" alias anyway...