help-debbugs

Re: Support of usertag for the "guix" package?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Support of usertag for the "guix" package?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 18:59:55 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!

Hi Maxim,

> I was wondering if there was a way to create user tags (using the usertag
> Debbugs command) for the "guix" package, the same way it seems to be
> possible for "emacs".
>
> Here's what I'm trying, from the Emacs Debbugs interface C-u M-x
> debbugs-gnu RET guix RET n y, then from one issue:
>
> C RET usertag RET guix RET test RET
>
> which produces the control message reproduced below:
>
> Control message sent:
> user guix
> usertag 42802 test
> quit
>

> It seems the Debbugs server ensures the user value has the format of an
> email address.

Hmm, the documentation is inconsistent. The info manual of Emacs'
debbugs package says in "(debbugs-ug) Control Messages"

'usertag'
     "user USERNAME"
     "usertag 12345 TAG"

     The username, read interactively, is either a package name or an
     email address.  The tag to be set is also read interactively.

OTOH, the mail server doc <https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-request.html> says

user email
    Set the user to the given email address. The default user is the
    email address set in your mail client's From: or Reply-To:
    field. You should not use other people's email addresses without
    permission.

usertag bugnumber [ + | - | = ] tag [ tag ... ]
    Sets usertags for the bug report #bugnumber. No notification is sent
    to the user who reported the bug, nor to the package
    maintainer. Setting the action to + means to add each given tag, -
    means to remove each given tag, and = means to ignore the current
    tags and set them afresh to the list provided. The default action is
    adding.

Maybe there is a special case for user "emacs"? Don't know. Will
investigate further.

> I'd be curious to get some hindsight if you have any :-)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Maxim

Best regards, Michael.