help-debbugs

Re: disk space

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: disk space
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 14:02:52 -0700

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > In that case I agree that it probably makes sense to expire the oldest
> > of the messages in order to free up that disk space.  And perhaps we
> > should cron that task so that it is continuously expired at some
> > reasonable rate.
>
> That sounds ideal (if this does indeed turn out to be necessary).
> There is, as well as the mailman archives for individual months, a
> single, ever-growing mailman mbox file with all the mails ever (now at
> 2.7GB). It's not obvious to me how one truncates that.

I remember seeing that file at one time!  It is quite the monster
now.  But it is possible to read through it and to tee off messages
into smaller folders along the way.  And then after the large file is
split into smaller files then expire the older ones.

I know I have seen various mail utilities to operate on these mbox
files.  In mailutils and offline-imap and here and there.  I'll put
this mbox size expiration problem on the task list and then find one
of those.  (I have actually written perl scripts to do this myself
in the past too.)

Bob