help-gawk

Re: How to represent NBSP in gawk regex?

From: Neil R. Ormos
Subject: Re: How to represent NBSP in gawk regex?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:35:10 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> ["Neil R. Ormos" wrote:]

>> Although both David's and Wolfgang's solutions
>> work, I wonder if there is a more portable way
>> to represent the character that is not
>> nailed-up for a specific character set.

> What do you mean by "character set" in this
> context?  That is an overloaded terminology, and
> it's easy to become confused if we don't define
> precisely what we mean.

I think the now-elided example made that clear, but I will restate:

The question is, if someone finds themselves in an environment where the
character encoding is not UTF-8, but does support a non-breaking-space
character, how do they cause their Gawk program to produce it without having /a
priori/ knowledge of the sequence of bits that encode that character?