help-gengetopt

[help-gengetopt] gengetopt --show-help and application --help display de

From: J. David Bryan
Subject: [help-gengetopt] gengetopt --show-help and application --help display description differently
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:24:58 -0500

There is a small formatting bug in version 2.22.  I am using the gengetopt
option "--show-help" to develop an application's help screen before
compiling it.  However, after compiling, I find that the formatting when
using --help is not quite the same as it was with --show-help.

Example:

  # app.ggo
  package "app"
  version "1.00"
  description "Description of app."
  option "test" t "A simple option for app" optional

  /* app.c */
  #include "cmdline.h"

  int main (int    argc,
            char **argv)
  {
      struct gengetopt_args_info args_info;

      cmdline_parser (argc, argv, &args_info);
      return 0;
  }

Invocation of gengetopt:

  $ gengetopt --show-help -i app.ggo
  app 1.00

  Usage: app [OPTIONS]...

  Description of app.

    -h, --help     Print help and exit
    -V, --version  Print version and exit
    -t, --test     A simple option for app

Invocation of app:

  $ app --help
  app 1.00

  Usage: app [OPTIONS]...

  Description of app.
    -h, --help     Print help and exit
    -V, --version  Print version and exit
    -t, --test     A simple option for app

Note the blank line after the description in the --show-help case but not
in the --help case.

                                      -- Dave