help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Gengetopt 2.22 and --show-detailed-help

From: Tim Post
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Gengetopt 2.22 and --show-detailed-help
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:43:59 +0800

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 17:10 +0100, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> so you're saying that the current output should be standard, aren't you?

Yes. Just to check I ran some of the more complex GNU programs through
help2man just to see, gcc has the same style output. Since gengetopt is
a GNU program, its output should probably behave the same :)

Programs with many, many options do produce help that is very difficult
to read, especially on a dumb terminal / local console without scroll
back capabilities. I really don't think much can be done in gengetopt's
output to cure that to any effective degree, hence the usefulness of
man/info/help2man (and all the more reason to keep it standard).

Cheers,
--Tim