help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Internationalisation

From: Tim Marston
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Internationalisation
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:35:23 +0100

Hi Lorenzo,

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 01:06:41PM +0200, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> yes, I think that it all should be backward compatible, even at the
> cost of adding new stuff...

Yes, this would be ideal.  But the only way to support the original
interface as well as the new interface would be duplicate *almost all*
of the strings in the generated output.  Is this really what you want
to do?  It will also mean supporting both interfaces (along with their
separate ways of generating strings -- runtime vs. generation-time) and
the additional code complexity of providing them both.

I had imagined that the API breakage that I was proposing might
constitute a minor (or perhaps even major) version number increment.
But do you feel that compatibility is more important than that?

--
Tim Marston
ed.am