help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] New application to the GIFT

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] New application to the GIFT
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:46:51 +0100

Am Montag, 4. November 2002 12:56 schrieb John Restrepo:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I am new to the list and to GIFT, so I will probably be posting a lot here
> (for help, of course).
> I work at the Industrial Design Engineering Faculty at TU-Delft in The
> Netherlands. My work is about interactions between designers and
> information systems. As part of my research (I am aiming at a PhD), I want
> to study the effect of format and media in which information is presented
> to designers in the design process etc.

You are *not* boring us.

> Whatever, I am not going to bore
> you with all this stuff. The point is that I want to use the gift because
> it's query by example capabilities.

cool.

> I managed to install the gift. Installation was reasonably smooth (except
> for some Perl dependencies that have other dependencies, etc. That seemed
> to be endless, and I did not want to use CPAN). I have indexed a collection
> of about 5000 objects from famous and not so famous designers. The
> collection includes bikes, sunglasses, vacuum cleaners, watches, and a long
> etc.

Oh. Could you give me some infos on what dependencies where of particular
interest? I due to complaints I have assembled a perl package that should be
about it (?)

http://btn1x5.inf.uni-bayreuth.de/~muellerw/gift-prerequisites-0.07.tar.gz

they are not *completely* gnu compatible, and for that they are not yet on the
GNU server. I should in a small timeslice I will remove the offending files,
and that shoulddo it.

(snip)

> Ok, here the complaints section. I swear I have read the documentation and
> the help archives before writing this, and nothing helped.
>
> I managed to have the charmer interface running on the Linux box, displayed
> with Mozilla 1.0 and the java2 plugin. It works smoothly (when accessed
> from the linux box). I can also serve the applet to the web (making the
> changes to the demo files) but it does not connect to the server when
> accessed from any other computer. The java window says that they might be a
> security problem with the applet. I know something can be done about this
> issue because I have tried a demo of the charmer interface somewhere in the
> web (perhaps in the viper site???) Some hints on this will be very
> appreciated.

OK. I do believe to have written some lines about that problem in the readme:
The images have to come from the same source as the applet, otherwise they are
deemed as a security risk. So you have to adjust the server that serves the
applet and the one that serves the image, and the urls have to be (e.g.)
http://your.io.tudelft.nl/something
and not
http://localhost/something

So you will have to do some search and replace in some file of the name
url2fts.xml
that resides in the subdirectory named as your collection in
~/gift-indexing-data/yourcollection.

> Now, the PHP interface seems to be bugging everybody (for what I have read
> on the help-archive on this list). I have made all the appropriate changes
> to the demo.php and client.php files but still I am unable to connect to
> the server. It does basically nothing and displays not complains. You can
> try what I have at http://dutodj.io.tudelft.nl/demo/php/demo.php or
> /client.php It is frustrating me.... Grrrr.
>
> My configuration is as follows
> Gift runs on port 12789
> image collection /home/johnrpo/public_html/imagedatabase
> I have given the following permissions to the files (just in case that was
> the problem)
>
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnrpo  johnrpo      8333 Nov  1 01:58 gift-config.mrml
> -rwxrw-r--    1 johnrpo  johnrpo       291 Oct 31 18:24
> gift-embed-perl-modules.pl
> drwxr-xr-x    3 johnrpo  johnrpo      4096 Oct 31 18:24 gift-indexing-data
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnrpo  johnrpo      5593 Nov  1 13:40
> gift-last-in-message.mrml
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnrpo  johnrpo      9460 Nov  1 13:40
> gift-last-out-message.mrml
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 johnrpo  johnrpo   1140685 Nov  4 12:17 gift-log.mrml
> -rw-rw-r--    1 johnrpo  johnrpo        12 Nov  4 12:17 gift-port.txt
>
> I have also given 775 attribs to the directory where the php interface is
> located.
>
> Help in this issue is HIGHLY required and appreciated.
> N.B. There is no version number for the interface,  but I downloaded it
> last week.

OK. Using the interface at viper.unige.ch I am getting a "connection refused".
Cheers,
Wolfgang