help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] is it possible to compile GIFT in Cygwin?

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] is it possible to compile GIFT in Cygwin?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:11:58 +0200

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 22:31, Alexis H. Rivera-Rios wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I'm also sending a copy of this email to the mailing
> list.  Should I do this or just reply to you?

Perfect. I personally like to keep as much as possible in the list, I just
send big files directly to the people concerned in order to be nice to people
with a modem.

> The version of Cygwin that I download is 1.3.22-1
>
> I found some documentation on the distribution.  It
> stated the prerequisitites before building.
>
> Currently, I have Perl 5.8.0 installed.  I noticed the
> documentation stated that it requires a perl younger
> than 5.003.  I went to the cpan site, I found some
> other distributions but I don't know which one to
> download. I saw a 4.036, 5.005 03, 5.004 05.. etc
> Is it very important to have the specific perl
> version?

5.8 should do it mine is quote
This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i586-linux
unquote

> Not knowing that, I assumed that 5.8 was ok so I
> downloaded the perl modules.  One of them (libwww)
> didnt pass the make test, I dont know if this is a
> problem with perl 5.8 or it needs some other libraries
> from Cygwin that I havent downloaded.  I noticed in
> the history of the libwww module that they made a
> change to  the code so it compiles with 5.8, I guess
> they haven't fixed that yet :)
> The make test of some other modules said that some
> tests were skipped, I dont know if that is good or
> bad.
>

> I also downloaded the binaries of the infomagick
> ibary.  I don't if I have to the its location to the
> makefiles.

No. If it's in the path is ok. The feature extraction code uses image magick's
convert tool, as David McG Squire's feature extraction code works on ppm
only.

> I installed doxygen but I dont know how to verify it's
> working correctly. I've never used that before.

Oh. You're a tough guy. A missing doxygen should not cause any problems.

> Do I need to have some sort of networking support in
> Cywgin?  Maybe I didnt installed some base networking
> libraries, that we are assuming are there always.
>
> Having said that, here is the errors log when I try to
> build gift.
>
> mkdir: cannot create directory `autoDoc': File exists
> make[2]: [system-doc] Error 1 (ignored)
> mkdir: cannot create directory `autoDoc/HTML': File
> exists
> make[2]: [system-doc] Error 1 (ignored)
> make[2]: [system-doc] Error 1 (ignored)
> make[2]: [configuring-and-hacking-the-gift.info] Error
> 1 (ignored)
> make[2]: [configuring-and-hacking-the-gift.txt] Error
> 1 (ignored)
> make[2]: [configuring-and-hacking-the-gift.dvi] Error
> 1 (ignored)
> make[2]: [gift-guide.dvi] Error 1 (ignored)
> test: gift-guide.sgml: unknown operand
> make[2]: [gift-guide.txt] Error 2 (ignored)
> make[2]: [gift-guide.info] Error 1 (ignored)

ignored stuff really gets ignored, so don't worry about that

> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> cannot find -ldl

This one is the important line. This is exactly the libtool stuff I was
talking about. I have the impression that we would need to give the automake
stuff a look and an overhaul.

There are easy and more difficult solutions.

Easy, hackish and annoying: disable all the plugin stuff I spent so much time
on, and link statically. Involves ifdeffing and playing with --static link
flags in the automake files.

More difficult: make it work as it's supposed to work if you know how to use
libtool properly. Involves deep reading of libtool manuals (well, deeper than
I have done so far), than doing sophisticated libtooling.

Currently I have a cygwin portable at my lab with a very fresh install, so in
my free time I will try to get at least to your state in order to be a better
discussion partner. Then I will get back to you.

Are there any takers for helping us with this? Shy libtool gurus that do not
dare to show? Don't be afraid!

Cheers,
Wolfgang