help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] perl dependencies and 0.1.8 and Cygwin :)

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] perl dependencies and 0.1.8 and Cygwin :)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:45:21 +0200

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 23:39, Alexis H. Rivera-Rios wrote:
> Hi,

Re-Hi,

> I downloaded all the cygwin packages and installed
> everything except the Xfree stuff.

OK.
(Snip)
> XML-Parser gave some warnings, but all the tests
> passed. and the installation was succesful.

OK This is really good to know.
Your Perl installation does not seem to be complete with respect to what is
needed in 0.1.9, but for 0.1.8 it looks ok.

> libwww failed on some tests:
> robot/ua-get
> robot/ua
> robot/http-get
>
> But I installed it anyways.  I sent an email to the
> guys that deal with libwww to see what they think
> about that.
>
> I get to the point where the .configure asks me if I
> want to do a manual configuration.  Last time I said
> yes... and I eventually got stuck trying to give it a
> CPAN url for something.  It just kept asking and I
> really don't know what it is expecting.

Plenty of input, defaults usually works.

> Then I tried saying no, but I got errors of these
> form:

Hmm. I think this sounds like an illconfigured or unconnected CPAN install.

(Snip)

> What are those errors? Does that mean the perl
> installation is still wrong?

It does not seem to.

OK. Here we see, the stuff is doing a make, and it seems to work up to the
point where it wants to link to ld, a library that is not there. Now I give
you again a snip from my last message to you.

quote
The problem is the plugin mechanism. All GIFT query engines are in fact
plugins. So GIFT looks in LIBDIR (the dir where the libs get installed, which
in turn depends on the ./configure parameters you give) for libs that start
libGIFT something and end with .so . This is not portable. libtool gives you
some possibilities to find out the name suffix of dynamic libs, and it has a
more portable of dynamically linking than libdl, libtdl, if I remember right.
So something that would need to be done would be to look into the details of
portable dynamic linking using libtool and then do it the right way based on
my code that does it the wrong way (but, I hope, would be easily changed).
unquote

> After the configure progam exits,
Does it say it exits successfully? Does it say
"creating makefile soandso"?

So, what do we see here?
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> cannot find -ldl
We see, that make is trying to link to libld, and there is none under cygwin.
So now what has to be done is some work on Makefile.am's, configure.in using
stuff described in

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html , section 10.1. Would you have
the time, stamina, and will to do that?

> And now back to square one :)