help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] how to install GNu Gift

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] how to install GNu Gift
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:08:28 +0000

David Squire wrote:
Pratima wrote:
hello am installing GNU Gift version 0.1.11.
As said in the install file i have move to the folder where the source code is and then type ./configure.
Am getting this

address@hidden:~/personal/gift-0.1.11$ cd gift-0.1.11
address@hidden:~/personal/gift-0.1.11/gift-0.1.11$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

but the file configure do exists in the folder.

Yes. Your bash shell is complaining that the interpreter specified on the shebang (#!) line at the start of ./configure can't be found. It should be looking for /bin/sh - the standard *nix shell which should exist on every linux and UNIX system.

My guess would be that /bin/sh *does* exist on your system, and it is the trailing ^M above that is the problem. That's a carriage return character (CR), which should not be there - *nix uses a single line-feed character as the end of line (LF), where as DOS-like systems use CR-LF. Still, I've never noticed this cause a problem with running scripts before. Did you do any of the file transfer and/or unpacking on a Windows box?

Also, why are you installing 0.1.11 instead of the most recent release (0.1.14)?

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer. On sabbatical in 2006.
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia