help-global

Re: generating one tags database for multiple sub-projects

From: Shigio Yamaguchi
Subject: Re: generating one tags database for multiple sub-projects
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:47:26 +0900

Hello,
> In the code that I have to work with, there are a number of subprojects
> that are located in separate source trees, an arragement of the
> following form:
> commonroot/project1/devel/src/(a source tree here)
> commonroot/project2/devel/src/(another tree)
> commonroot/library3/src/(a yet another tree)
> and so forth.
> Unfortunately, I do not have the permission to write into commonroot!
> (furthermore, even if i did--there are other (large) projects in the
> commonroot that I don;t need to be included in the tags database). I tried
> setting up another directory containing symlinks to the appropriate
> project source trees, but running gtags from there produced an small file
> that had no  symbols in it (I guess it doesn't follow symlinks?).

It seems that you have two trouble.

[trouble1] You cannot make tag files in the root directory of source tree.

        Two environment variable GTAGSROOT and GTAGSDBPATH are available.

        making tag files:
                % cd /xxx/commonroot
                % gtags /var/tmp                <= make tag files in /var/tmp

        using tag files:
                % setenv GTAGSROOT /xxx/commonroot
                % setenv GTAGSDBPATH /var/tmp
                % global -x main

        Please see online manual in the details.

[trouble2] You cannot skip specified directories.

        Skip variable is available.
        GLOBAL package includes the configuration file as 'gtags.conf'
        or 'global.conf'. Copy it to your home directory and setup like this:

        % cp gtags.conf $HOME/.globalrc
        % vi $HOME/.globalrc

        :skip=y.tab.c,y.tab.h,SCCS/,RCS/,CVS/,HTML/,.deps/:\

        :skip=y.tab.c,y.tab.h,SCCS/,RCS/,CVS/,HTML/,.deps/,project4/,project5/:\
                                                           skipped directories

Good luck!
--
Shigio Yamaguchi - Tama Communications Corporation
Mail: address@hidden, (Spare mail: address@hidden)