[Help-glpk] UnixWare port / Energy system modelling

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: [Help-glpk] UnixWare port / Energy system modelling
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:21:33 +0100 (MET)

Hello <help-glpk>

This message gives some details about my system and provides an
introduction to my intended use of GLPK.

-----------------
SCO UnixWare port
-----------------

I have just downloaded and compiled the GLPK source and run the
'check' sample.  The details of my system are as follows:

  Processor               :   AMD K6 200MHz (Pentium Pro equivalent)
  RAM                     :   32 Mb RAM
  Operating system        :   SCO UnixWare 2.1.2 (SVR4.2 MP)
  Development environment :   SDK (Software Development Kit)
  System compiler         :   cc  / version 2.1.2
  Alternative compiler    :   gcc / version 2.7.2.2

Note: SCO UnixWare is different from SCO UNIX. The current incarnation
of UnixWare is now distributed as Caldera OpenUNIX 8.0.

  GLPK version            :   3.0.4

The compile was trivial under 'gcc'.  But 'cc' required some
modifications to the 'Makefile' and the compiler produced some
warnings.  I will submit bug reports if any warnings prove significant.

-------------
Usage of GLPK
-------------

The GLPK solver itself will be used to extend an energy system
model I am helping develop.  The model currently uses a modified
form of the simplex algorithm from "Numerical Recipes in C".

The model requires the solution of a sequence of minimum cost flow
problems (MCFP).  The move to 0-1 MIP will initially allow the
stand-by shut-down of certain conversion plant.  But the use of MIP
could also support variable-plus-fixed-cost operation.

The energy model is called 'deeco'.  More details can be found at:

  http://www.iet.tu-berlin.de/deeco

I have been encouraged by recent posting attesting to the ease of
use of this library.

Special thanks to maintainer Andrew Makhorin and key contributors.
Best wishes

Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison

PhD topic:    High-resolution energy system integration modelling

Web-IET:      http://www.iet.tu-berlin.de/efeu
Web-deeco:    http://www.iet.tu-berlin.de/deeco

Address:      Institute for Energy Engineering
              Technical University of Berlin
              Marchstraße 18, D-10587 Berlin, Germany
Phone:        ++ 49.30.314 22181 (secretariat)
              ++ 49.30.314 23280 (room KT-108)
Fax:          ++ 49.30.314 21683
eMail:        <address@hidden>

===