Re: [Help-glpk] glpk question

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glpk question
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:48:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Xiulin Zou wrote:

> I could not understand that why it is not allowed to
> set any coefficient of the constraint matrix to be
> 0.0. Could you please offer some explanation?

There is no reason for it, it's just policy.
It's not an awful policy.
As another noted, you don't need to
explicity set a coefficient to zero.
That is the default value.

On the other hand, there are times when the
result of a calculation could be zero or not.
Given more than one such calculation,
having the test for zero once in the LP code
would produce smaller easier to read code
than having the test in multiple places.

On yet another hand, there are times when zero
just means that someone forgot to set a variable.

--
Mike   address@hidden
"Nothing says it like words if you know how to use them."