[Help-glpk] Use of LP for experimental trials

From: dhdoyle
Subject: [Help-glpk] Use of LP for experimental trials
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:59:44 +0359

Hi,

I'd like to know if
I can use glpk to solve a problem where the solver in glpk would call a
function.  I'm an engineer who no longer does any real coding.  I used
simplex methods years back with good success on several types of problems.
I'm working to determine the best set of test conditions for a semiconductor
chip.  These correspond to internal voltage levels and delays.  They
are set as bits.  There are a total of 55 bits, in 20 variables for 3E16
combinations.  I'd like to try a simplex type algo that runs a point or
trial in X dimensional space, evaluates the results and selects the vectors for
the next trial.  Each trial takes 5 minutes.

So the problem
is:

1) Must be evaluated
as an external function with the values passed in.  The return is a value
to be minimized.  In other words, there are no constraints or known
equation for the function.

2) Should be
efficient in trials, due to the 5 min per iteration (thus my interest in
Simplex
over a genetic code)

3) I have to be able
to convert it to integer points

4) Each variable has
upper and lower limits expressed as 0-7 or 0-15.

5) The space has
local minima, so if it can bounce out great.  However, I am just looking
for improvement over the current "optimum" not a global
solution.

6) I don't need to
evaluate the whole space at once, I can fix X variables and look for
improvements in the settings of 20-X variables.

7) A PERL shell
would set up the seed and track outputs.  The glpk would be called and in
turn call the function which is really a chip tester.

8) The current
method employed is full matrix search on 1-3 variables at a
time.

Can glpk work for
this problem?  If so which modules should I try and what mods to the code
do I need if any?  Is there other software out there better suited to this
application?

Thanks in advance,

Dan