Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK re-endrant

From: xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK re-endrant
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Andrew,

my understanding is that the ILOG claim of >= 1.7 times faster for
multithreading
is on multicore CPUs. I suppose the majority of PCs nowadays has 2 to 4
cores.

A much more radical possibility for parallelization is offered by using the
Graphic processor of the computer with its single instruction multiple data
capabilities.

For libraries see
http://www.khronos.org/opencl/
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html

For implementations see:
http://www.jakobbieling.de/university/diploma/thesis.pdf
http://ws3.re.mipt.ru/mediawiki/index.php/Simplex_Method

The idea here was to handle  identification of the next column/row to enter
the base using the CPU and the matrix multiplications using the GPU.

Best regards

Xypron