Re: [Help-glpk] Feature request - option to flush output

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Feature request - option to flush output
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:16:11 +0400

> By default, IO streams are not regularly flushed; they are buffered
> in the computer until 'enough' IO has been done (or until the stream
> is closed).

> I'm piping glpsol through some Python code and this buffering is
> creating a noticable delay in my processing.  What I'd like is an
> option that enables explicit flushing of glpsol's output.  For
> example, after each status line is printed, you might execute:

>   flush(stdout)

> (or do "cout << flush" in C++).

Exactly this feature was added in glpk 4.35:

   The statement "if (c = '\n') fflush(stdout)" was added to the
   internal routine xputc to provide "real-time" terminal output.

Probably you are using an older version of the package. If so,
download the most recent version, which is 4.39.

GLPK distribution can be ftp'ed from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glpk/ or
from some mirror ftp sites; see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html .