Re: [Help-glpk] Need help on interval planning constraint

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Need help on interval planning constraint
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:32:41 -0500

Hi Oliver,

A couple of quick observations.  First, your first formulation introduces a *lot* of binary variables, and unnecessarily discretizes time.

The second approach is workable, but why add the integer specification?  Was that an unstated part of the application?

One way to model the 'no intersection' requirement is add a binary variable for each unique pair of intervals. Call it y[i,j] corresponding to tasks i and j, i < j.  y[i,j] = 1 implies task i finishes before j starts, and y[i,j] = 0 implies the opposite.   This technique is demonstrated in a simple example "Machine Bottleneck" under GMPL/GLPK Examples on http://estm60203.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps,
Jeff