RE: [Help-glpk] The "dual" suffix and sensitivity to how a constraint is

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] The "dual" suffix and sensitivity to how a constraint is expressed in GMPL
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:20:21 -0600

Xypron,

I thank you for your very speedy reply.  And I appreciate your explanation -
it's very clear.  I do wonder if a special case should be made when only one
side has variables.  I have somewhat mixed feelings about that - special cases
in general are confusing, but superfluous sign reversals are confusing as well.

Indeed, I did change the constraints to put all the constants on the right-hand
side.

Maybe your update of the wiki should go a little further and give a clearer
explanation.  In addition to saying:

"The duals will be calculated based on the standard form of the constraints."

Maybe your should add on the sentences:

For example, the GMPL constraint "1 = c * y" will be transformed into "-c * y =
-1", and the dual value generated will be the negative of the value if the
constraint was written as "c * y = 1".  Generally, it is good idea to put the
constant term on the right-hand-side when obtaining duals are important for
subsequent non-GLPK related calculations.

-Marc