[Help-glpk] Seeking to hire a person with AMPL/GMPL experience

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: [Help-glpk] Seeking to hire a person with AMPL/GMPL experience
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:56:41 -0600

Hi - I hope you guys do not think that I'm abusing the "help-glpk" list.  My company just posted an advertisement in the INFORMS job placement service to hire a person that understands OR and software development.  Someone that enjoys working on a variety of "real world" problems, some of which are OR, some of which are strictly software development.  The ideal person has a variety of tools at their disposal, include AMPL/GMPL, R, SQL queries, several software languages.  English fluency is a must, speaking a couple of languages is another plus (German, Russian, French, etc.) but not necessary.

Having followed this list for several years, I know that many of the people that regularly contribute have these qualifications, so I thought that some of you might be interested.

The entire posting is below.  If interested, please contact me directly (address@hidden).

Position Overview

Oliver Wyman is seeking candidates with Operations Research and software development skills to join its transportation software development team, based in Princeton, New Jersey.  The position will design and develop new software, as well as maintain existing software, that uses many algorithms for optimizing transport and transportation related operations.  Our practice is a global leader in railroad operations planning applications and consulting, and among much recognition our group received the Franz Edelman prize for the practice of management science in 2003.  Our development team is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the MultiRail family of products, which is the global standard platform for railway service and operations planning.  We are seeking an individual who is capable of working as an integral member of our approximately 12 person development team.

About Oliver Wyman

As one of the world’s premier corporate strategy and operations firms, Oliver Wyman helps leading enterprises develop, build, and operate strong businesses that deliver sustained shareholder value growth. Oliver Wyman’s proprietary business design techniques, combined with its specialized industry knowledge and global reach, enable companies to anticipate changes in customer priorities and the competitive environment, and then design their businesses and improve operations to seize opportunities created by those changes. The firm serves clients from 22 offices in the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

OR Analyst and Software Developer

Job Description

Description

* Design and develop new software, including the development of algorithms, as well as maintain existing software and algorithms, using C#, C++ and SQL

Qualifications

* Experience with object oriented development in C#, C++ or some other OO language

* Strong background and interest in optimization (linear, integer, combinatorial) and heuristics

* The ability to work well with our team

* Eagerness to work on challenging problems

* Degree in Operations Research, Computer Science or equivalent, or 2+ years of relevant work experience

Plusses:

* Experience with optimization algorithms for transportation problems

* Understanding of advanced statistical methods

* Experience with mathematical modeling languages such as AMPL

* Experience with statistical languages such as R

* Experience with a simulation language such as GPSS

* Some experience in databases, SQL, MS Access, VBA

* Windows and Linux experience

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.