Re: [Help-glpk] Generate data section files for model (in GNU MathProg o

From: Tony Khosravi
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Generate data section files for model (in GNU MathProg or other languages)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 22:29:12 +0200

Thanks for that Robbie

2012/5/9 Robbie Morrison <address@hidden>

Hello Tony

To:           Robbie Morrison <address@hidden>
Subject:      Re: [Help-glpk] Generate data section files for model (in GNU
From:         Tony Khosravi <address@hidden>
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2012 20:06:11 +0200

> [...]
>
> I will try to explain better what I want to do.
>
> So as I said, I would like to generate a file
> containing only data section through a program in a way
> that I can generate many of those data files through a
> program, and then run the GLPK solver on each data file
> according to a model. So you understand that the data
> section and the model section are in two different
> files.
>
> I think I need to say that I program in C++.
>
> Let's say that my program is split into three modules:
>
>    - one which generates data (the nature of those data
>      are not important) through N iterations
>
>    - one which would store those data into N files
>      (data section in a text file)
>
>    - one which read those data files one by one and run
>      the solver (given a file which contains the model
>      section)
>
> The first and third modules are implemented, so I am
> interested in implementing the second one.
>
> In fact, the aim is not to have a very flexible program
> since to be able to generate the data files, it (I)
> need to know the model.  Let's say that my first module
> generate a matrix. With this matrix, I want to compute
> different things which would corresponds to some
> parameters needed for the model. Therefore, I would
> like to store them in file. In order to have something
> a bit flexible, I was wondering if there was some
> methods available in GLPK or in another library which
> could perform those action like a method called
> "toGMPLParam(name, defaultValue, listOfRecords)" which
> would give in a file in the GMPL format param name
> default defaultValue record1, record2, ..., recordsN
>
> It is still unclear I think so I will try to explain
> with an example as follow:
>
> I have this "program" in whatever-the-language
> /* myprog.cpp */
>
> begin
>
>      // Here I generate some data that I store in a matrix
>      var myMatrix <- generateData
>      // Here I perform some operations on this matrix
>     var var1 <- action1(myMatrix)
>     var var2 <- action2(myMatrix)
>
>     // Here is the part I am interested in
>     fileOpen("mydata.dat")
>     f <- toGMPLParam("var1", 0, var1)
>     f <- toGMPLParam("var2", 0, var2)
>
>     // I run this file with the solver and a .mod file
>     var optimalSolution <- solve("mydata.dat", "mymodel.mod")
>
> end
>
> /* eof */
>
> I am aware of the fact that I could implement a way of
> just writing those data in a file, trying to respect
> the MathProg format (as long as it is modular, I would
> be satisfied), but maybe GLPK or another lib provides
> such methods that would generate a file with the proper
> syntax used in MathProg given some parameters.
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> *Tony Khosravi Dehkourdi*
>
> MSc. Student - Computer Systems
> *Linköping University*
> Elève ingénieur -- Génie Informatique, Systèmes et Réseaux d'Informations
I am not aware of any GLPK functions, official or
internal, that do what you suggest.  Someone else may
know for sure.

The following Boost C++ libraries may be of interest:

   http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/

   Boost.Smart_ptr
   Boost.Format
   Boost.Filesystem

Or STL std::ostringstream instead of Boost.Format.

Depending on your skill levels, maybe also C++ functors, custom
steam inserters, and the following:

  Boost.Bind
  Boost.Lambda

It would seem that fully fledged parsing is not
indicated, otherwise see Boost.Spirit.

Write tight classes with clearly defined roles and
revisit your design if you are starting to code
spaghetti.  Think very carefully about the kind of
abstractions the language supports and use those to
your advantage.  Unit testing is also be useful.  Its
a learning curve, for sure.

Finally, I guess that the specification for MathProg is
well thought through, although I don't use the
language myself.

That is about as specific as I can be in the
circumstances.

good luck
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]

I knew the Boost library, but I never used them. I wanted to stay with the standard library and not use any extra library (the code that I am developing ought to be used by others people on other machine and there are not computer science people, so I want to keep things simple and in the standard c++ box).
I will have a look anyway on those libraries that Boost provides.

As you mentioned, I wanted to use some functors and/or template to achieve this kind of translator to the MathProg format.
I guess this is what I wil try to do.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards,