Re: [Help-glpk] glp_malloc: no memory available

From: Reginald Beardsley
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glp_malloc: no memory available
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:11:42 -0700 (PDT)

You don't say what OS you're using, so I'll have to be very general.  It means you've run out of virtual memory.  You need to increase the space.  It's called a "paging file" in Windows and "swap partition" in Unix/Linux.  Note you can also use a file for swap space in Unix, but the traditional allocation has been a separate disk partition.

When disk was expensive, the rule of thumb was swap = 4 X DRAM.  However, disk is now so cheap I use swap = 8 x DRAM.
If you don't need the space it has no effect on performance.  It's just wasted disk space.

DRAM is hundreds of times faster than a hard drive, so there's a big performance hit if you start paging.  If you can't add more DRAM to your system, adding a solid state disk for swap space will be much faster than a regular hard drive.

Have Fun!
Reg