Re: [Help-glpk] OSeMOSYS open-source energy modeling project

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] OSeMOSYS open-source energy modeling project
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:12:30 +1300

Hi Laurent

Regarding the ETEM
Energy-Technology-Environment Model.

To:           Robbie Morrison <address@hidden>
From:         Laurent Drouet <address@hidden>
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:26:18 +0100

> Dear Robbie,
>
> The ETEM model is also an open-source
> Energy-Technology-Economy Model, based on the same
> paradigms than OSeMOSYS.  It is of course written
> in GNU MathProg and freely available at
> http://apps.ordecsys.com/etem.

> If you have any problem to download it, I can
> send you a version.  I am one of the author of
> the model.

No problems encountered to register, download,
unpack, and run:

  $ glpsol --model etem.mod --data city_a.dat

  GLPSOL: GLPK LP/MIP Solver, v4.47
  OPTIMAL SOLUTION FOUND
  Time used:   7.3 secs
  Memory used: 92.2 Mb (96690829 bytes)

Here are some text stats:

   words   cols   lines     filename
   12983    216    2445     city_a.dat
    2122    149     363     etem.mod

The documentation looks great:

  Drouet, Laurent and Julien Thénié.  2009.  ETEM
      : an energy-technology-environment model to
      assess urban sustainable development
      policies -- Reference manual version 2.1.
      ORDECSYS (Operations Research Decisions and
      Systems) Technical Report, Chêne-Bougeries,
      Switzerland.  10 August 2009.

This PDF is part of the software bundle.

For the record, the Eclipse Public License v1.0 is
used for the code.

The following presentation also gives some useful
background to ETEM:

  Drouet, Laurent and Dan Zachary.  2010.
      Economic aspects of the ETEM model --
      Presentation.  21 May 2010.

      http://crteweb.tudor.lu/leaq/uploads/etem-economy.pdf

Thanks for the tip!  Best wishes, Robbie

<address@hidden>wrote:

>> Hello Andrew, all
>>
>> Been doing the literature review for my thesis
>> report and just found the following website and
>> article:
>>
>>   http://osemosysmain.yolasite.com
>>   http://osemosysmain.yolasite.com/getting-started.php
>>
>>   Howells, Mark, Holger Rogner, Neil Strachan,
>>       Charles Heaps, Hillard Huntington, Socrates
>>       Kypreos, Alison Hughes, Semida Silveira, Joe
>>       DeCarolis, Morgan Bazillian, and Alexander
>>       Roehrl.  2011.  osemosys : the open source
>>       energy modeling system : an introduction to
>>       its ethos, structure and development.
>>       Energy Policy 39(10):5850-5870.
>>       doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2011.06.033
>>
>>   http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.06.033
>>   http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421511004897
>>
>> There are some quite substantial collaborating
>> institutions listed on the home page, particularly
>> in the energy modeling area.
>>
>> Last I looked, OSeMOSYS was being coded in Java.
>> They must have migrated to MathProg in the
>> interim.
>>
>> Kudos to Andrew, regards to all, Robbie
>> ---
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Institute for Energy Engineering (IET)
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]