Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization

From: Reginald Beardsley
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 06:57:42 -0800 (PST)

While we wait to hear from Andrew, I made a quick assessment.  glpk is under
100k lines w/ under 600 static declarations in the src directory.  I did not
look in the w32 & w64 directories.

I consider that large, but comfortable.  Particularly when I take into account
the high quality of the code.  I've found myself the sole support for much
larger codes that were  poorly written by many hands.  Relative to past
experience such as porting 500k lines of FORTRAN from VMS to Unix, this looks
pretty simple.  I've also dealt w/ running old non-reentrant FORTRAN codes in a
large seismic processing system by loading and unloading  named COMMON in a
wrapper so the FORTRAN codes did not require modification.  I don't have any
experience w/ threads per se, but that's a minor detail relative to a project
like this.

If Andrew is amenable to an attempt to make glpk multithreaded, I'll print the
source and start reading code.  That will take some time, but it may save a lot
of effort.  In particular I want to study the possible options for doing this
w/ minimum effort.  The fact that the code is the work of a single, disciplined
hand offers the possibility of this being rather less work than if many people
had worked on it.

A possible solution of particular interest is making each of the non-reentrant
items an array indexed by thread number.  I won't know if that's possible until
I read the code, but it might yield a very elegant solution.  Other
possibilities will suggest themselves in due course once I understand the
internal structure.

For many years I supported the Seismic Unix package from the Center for Wave
Phenomena at the Colorado School of Mines.  It's 360k+ lines w/ 400+ programs
written by many hands using key=value parameter input. A continual problem w/
that package was the lack of any error checking for typos.  I had made an
experiment at fixing the problem, but never implemented it because it would
have taken several months to modify all the programs in the package.  Then one
day much later I woke up w/ an important insight into the calling structure of
the package and did the entire job in under two hours from start to finish.
Now unrecognized command line parameters are reported to the user, avoiding the
user discovering the error after a long run when looking at the results.

In general, Harley's proposal seems to me the way to go.  That way if we get
into trouble, it's easy to back up and start over.  If my idea about indexing
by thread is viable, we'd actually just do the whole package in one go.  I'd
like to keep the number of people working on this as small as practical. 2-3 is
pretty much ideal, but certainly no more than 5.

However, the most important consideration is a good fit w/ Andrew's intentions
and desires.  I wouldn't expect him to accept something like this until he'd
seen it, but I don't want to start if he has a fundamental objection to the
project.

Have Fun!
Reg