Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization

From: Reginald Beardsley
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:06:57 -0800 (PST)

Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.  Many thanks for the warning.

After looking at a number of Julian Hall's slide sets, I've become rather
skeptical of attempting to parallelize the simplex method in glpk.  For n>>m he
makes the assertion that it is very difficult to improve on a good serial
revised simplex implementation with partial pricing.

Moreover, papers by Pingqi Pan suggest that other rules may be faster than even
partial pricing, though he's unclear about the implications for cycling.  In
any event this leads me to conclude that focusing on improving serial
performance might be more fruitful.  When I posed the question, I had assumed
that glpk was pretty much at the limits of serial performance already.

Along the way I came across:

"Computational Techniques of the Simplex Method"
 by István Maros

Does anyone have any experience w/ this book?

I'd be grateful for any guidance anyone might have to offer.

Thanks,
Reg