Re: [Help-glpk] typo in mip gap formula on wikibook page

From: Heinrich Schuchardt
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] typo in mip gap formula on wikibook page
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 23:10:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Michael,

the current definition of the MIP gap is compatible to other optimizers like CPLEX.

The advantage of the current definition has the advantage of beeing meaningful to the
end user.

If the gap is 1 % and the current MIP solution costs me 1 Mio Euro, I know that even
if there is a better solution, it cannot be better by more than 9901 Euro. Your proposed
definition would not have such economic significance.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt
I'd suggest that a better denominator would be |best_mip - root_lp|

That would make the formula immune to shifts and scalings.
It would also ensure that the gap was never greater than 100% .

--
Michael address@hidden
whom I teach not to run with scissors,