Re: [Help-glpk] WIN GLPK 4.57 error of solving .mps or .lp format linear

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] WIN GLPK 4.57 error of solving .mps or .lp format linear programming models
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:51:32 +0300

Heinrich,

> the mps files that David downloaded from
> http://www.cuter.rl.ac.uk/Problems/netlib.html
> contains blank lines.

Probably those files were (re)generated with a buggy tool. I've got the
NETLIB collection downloaded from its home place
http://www.netlib.org/lp/data/ and unpacked with emps utility (both
emps.c and emps.f sources can be found ibid.), and there are no files
containing blank lines--all files conform to the standard mps format.

> When these lines are removed glpsol is able to consume the files.
>
> http://www.numerical.rl.ac.uk/lancelot/sif/node9.html
> describes the SIF file format:
>
> "In addition, completely blank cards are ignored when scanning the input
> file and may thus be used to space the data."

The standard mps format doesn't allow blank lines.

Andrew Makhorin